When we decided we wanted to do housesitting the next obvious step was taking the plunge with a reputable website. How did we know we had chosen the one which suited us the most?
It was the one where we found the housesits we wanted to do, our first one was in Cornwall, United Kingdom, and the rest, as they say, is history.
As you can imagine, we do get asked quite often,
“What housesitting website, do you use?”
Here’s a short list of with a few comments about them that you may want to view and chose from:
We belong to this one, to be honest, it was the one where I found our first housesit. I do find it easy to use, so for me, it is user-friendly.
This international site is referred to as the market leader, and I do believe it has more listings than most other websites. This does not necessarily mean it is the “best” one or the cheapest.
Annual Fee: $119 a year.
- They have established a name.
- Being attractive and easy to navigate makes this website the one for us to use.
- The cost is higher than most if not all housesitting websites.
- They charge homeowners as well as housesitters.
- It has more listings than most other housesitting websites. Its business plan is far more professional than most others.
- It charges way too much and far more than any other housesitting website.
The website won’t grab you like the Trusted Housesitters page.
$50 per year.
- House Carers is an industry veteran launched when the internet was still in its infancy.
- They’re honest, fair, and have a significant, established history.
- Their membership price is fair, they have the second-best sorting function and ad previews, and are friendly to homeowners.
- I did not find it easy to navigate around this website.
This international website doesn’t have quite as many listings, but the price makes it worth a look!
$20 per year
- Though they have been around longer than Trusted Housesitters, they are not as well established. Mind my House has excellent pricing, and a modern, user-friendly interface. They’re home-owner friendly, which improves their listing ratio.
- Unfortunately, this website has very mixed reviews. I found the lack of keeping the listings up to date, very frustrating. While others have found no problems at all.
- At such a low-cost entry I would think that this website would be worth a visit.
This website is very popular throughout the social media, not that I am an expert in such matters.
FREE for three contacts, $35 per quarter, $89 per year.
- It’s free for the first three contacts
- Great for those who are not requiring a full years membership
- For those who are NOT fulltime housesitters
- Blind review system the same as Airbnb
- The company is run by a small team – a good thing or not?
- They do not hide the sits that have been taken
- They are a reasonable new company
- More inclined to list housesits in Europe
A wildly popular site in Australia. This would be one which we would use if or when we decide to housesit in Australia.
$69 [Australian] a year
- This site is a goldmine of opportunities for a very fair price. It is also designed by the team behind House Sitters America. People who have reviewed it state that it has the same impressive search engine, easy sorting function, time-saving ad previews, fair approach, and homeowner friendliness (so more house sitting jobs!) as it’s American website.
- This website seems to be very popular though it is one that I have not spent much time viewing for housesits. One day in the future!
Here are more country specific sites for house sitting:
House Sitters America – $30 a year. – Fair membership price, best search function, best sorting function, best ad previews, no strong-arming, friendly to homeowners (so more house sits!).
House Sitters UK – run by the awesome folks behind House Sitters America. $22 a year.
Kiwi House Sitters – run by the people who own behind House Sitters America. NZD 65 a year.
N.B. All costs are approximate and may have changed.
My other posts that may also be helpful:
International Cat Day and an Interview – an interview written by another housesitting couple about us.
Want to know more information regarding housesitting? Then please don’t hesitate to ask. We are in our 3rd year of housesitting fulltime and have completed 29 housesits [March 2018], which makes us reasonably experienced.
I would love to hear from you.